Sunday, April 28, 2013



GLP Content

Day by Day—My Way

WHO 

Primary Users

“Day by Day—My Way” is a GLP for high school students, 9th-12th grades, 14-18 years old.  This project requires computers or tablets, cell phones with cameras or digital cameras, connection to the internet, as well as kidblog.org and animoto.com free accounts.  Basic narrative writing skills are required.

Project Manager, Theresa Smith

I have been a teacher with Palm Springs USD for 13 years.  I have taught middle school Language Arts and Social Studies, high school English, GED preparation, and various electives.  I hold a California clear single subject teaching credential in English, and I am currently an English teacher at an alternative high school.  I teach 10th grade students in our “Opportunity” program (for students who are not finding success at traditional high school) and 10th through 12th grade students in our independent study program.

WHAT

A global learning project is a great way to engage students in their learning and renew their interest in school.  A GLP can offer a unique and fun way to meet Common Core standards, state standards, or ISTE standards.

“Day by Day—My Way” meets the following standards:

--ISTE Standard-- ISTE 1: 

Creativity and Innovation—Students demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.  Students:
a.       Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes
b.      Create original works as a means of personal or group expression
c.       Use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues
d.      Identify trends and forecast possibilities


--CA 10th grade ELA Writing 2.1—

Write biographical or autobiographical narratives or short stories.

--Common Core Standard—

Writing Grades 9-10
3. Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
a.            Engage and orient the reader by setting out a problem, situation, or observation, establishing one or multiple point(s) of view, and introducing a narrator and/or characters; create a smooth progression of experiences or events.
b.            Use narrative techniques, such as dialogue, pacing, description, reflection, and multiple plot lines, to develop experiences, events, and/or characters.
c.             Use a variety of techniques to sequence events so that they build on one another to create a coherent whole.
d.            Use precise words and phrases, telling details, and sensory language to convey a vivid picture of the experiences, events, setting, and/or characters.
e.            Provide a conclusion that follows from and reflects on what is experienced, observed, or resolved over the course of the narrative.

                                                              TEACHERS NEED TO KNOW 


·         Teachers must be aware of and follow their own districts’ Fair Use and internet access policies.
·         Students and teachers will follow a Trust Monitor Policy.
·         All student posts will be approved by a teacher before they are available for public viewing.
·         Student privacy will be honored.   Personal information, such as last names, will not be shared.


TIMELINE

“Day by Day—My Way” will start at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year.  Advertisement will occur throughout the late summer 2013.  Teachers will be connected and prepared in September 2013.  The GLP will run through October and part of November 2013.

WHERE

·         “Day by Day—My Way” will be open to high school students around the globe.
·          
           Teacher participants will receive preparation materials and lessons via the teacher section of the GLP website.

·         Teacher participants will connect with each other via email, Skype or Hangouts, and on the GLP website.

·         Student participants will connect via the discussion forums on kidblog.org and animoto.com.

WHY

I want students to learn about themselves and the world around them.  How do their everyday lives and holiday traditions compare with the everyday lives and holiday traditions of other teenagers across the US and the world?  I would like for them to develop gratitude for their own lives and empathy for others.  The focus will be on staying positive and students finding positive things in their daily lives, as well as on special days, such as birthdays and holidays.

GLP Objectives

·         develop gratitude

·         develop empathy

·         experience/understand other cultures

HOW

Students will connect with each other via monitored discussion forums at kidblog.org.  In the discussion forums they will interact with each other by sharing their daily lives using pictures and words.  In kidblog, there will be various discussion topics that span the topic of gratitude and empathy in the hope that students will develop, or more deeply develop, these character traits.  Students will also share and comment on one another’s videos at animoto.com.  There will be two video themes, “A Day in the Life,” which will cover students’ daily lives, and “Special Days,” which will cover holidays, birthdays, and other days the students consider to be special.

Technical support will be available from the project manager via email and video conferencing, such as Skype or Hangouts.

13 comments:

  1. What a great way for students to "renew their interest in school". Will students collaborate on videos or are they done individually, either way sounds like a fun engaging way for students to experience other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Loretta, I am open to both, depending on what the participating teachers see as valuable, i.e., they could make individual videos/pictures about their own lives and/or collaborative videos/pictures on a common subject, like "life at school" or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea! You have done a great job organizing your site content. It is very easy to follow. Will you provide guidlines or requirement for the final project? Also, will there be a tutorial on how to use the basics to create videos on animoto.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comments and questions Aurora, there is not a "final project" so to speak..., the students will be posting glimpses of their everyday lives, as well as special days... I envision the posting of pictures and words to be an ongoing process rather than a "final project" if that makes sense....I will provide a rubric for teachers to use to evaluate the students' work...I like your idea of creating an animoto tutorial...thanks for the suggestion...

      Delete
  4. High Schoolers will love this! One thing that might help when revising is to reword everything in present tense so that it makes sense during the project and doesn't sound like it will happen in the future (sense it will be happening shortly after the site is published). Like "Welcome to our site, we invite you to..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so important for High Schoolers to gain that rare trait of empathy which you nicely incorporated in the lesson. I think using Animoto with the students will help them bring out their creative side. As project manager will you also have access and monitor student posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question Lydia--Yes, as project manager I would have access to all posts and I would do some monitoring, though I would expect that the teachers would do the majority of monitoring of their own students. Of course I will be checking the site to make sure all is well and appropriate.

      Delete
  6. This is very thorough. The only thing that I wonder is when and if you will connect with your teacher leaders? Why holiday traditions vs, family traditions or cultural moirês? And lastly, is using kidblog.org going to turn off high school students? Would work for 4th graders, but will it for alternative schoolers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dustin, thanks for your comments. I plan to connect my teacher leaders in September via email and Hangouts. I did not only mean "holidays traditions," so I apologize if it comes across that way, I am looking for "special days," meaning any day that is special to that student--it could be a birthday, holiday, or capturing a family or cultural tradition. My intention is for them to contrast the everyday with the unusual/special days if that makes sense. I am actually using kidblog with my high schoolers now--we are using it for a GLP we are participating in--and they like it fine and are not turned off by the name. However, I am not dead set on using kidblog--that is open to change as I investigate the tools available out there.

      Delete
    2. So I changed my wording from "holidays" to "special days and traditions." Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Hi Theresa,

    Your GLP sounds great. I was just wondering for the teacher section, are there specific deadlines for each assignment? Does the teacher need to present a lesson to the students for each activity? Is it open-ended?

    Joann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joann for you comment. I don't have specific deadlines in mind at this time, other than I plan to prep teachers in September and for students to participate in October and November. I envision the students posting throughout that time period in response to various prompts. There will be prompts to which the students will respond with pictures and words. I don't see a need for the participating teachers to print a lesson for each prompt. I see it more as the teacher sharing the prompt with the class, having a discussion with the class about the prompt, and the students responding to the prompts with pictures and words, and then interacting with each other though sustained, monitored dialogue in the discussion forums.

      Delete